Friday, 22 February 2013

Plastic Foam Ban

New York City is considering banning plastic foam from restaurants. This would include cups, takeout containers and trays. The alternative would be environmentally friendly but more expensive.

New York’s annual waste stream includes about 20,000 tons of plastic foam, according to the New York Times.

Plastic foam is currently the cheapest option, according to Andrew Moesel, spokesperson for the New York State Restaurant Association.

Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle have already banned plastic foam.

Perhaps the restaurants will increase menu prices to make up for the extra cost of more environmentally friendly options?

1 comment:

  1. I like this post, but I don't love the idea of using a story from another restaurant magazine, even if it is in the U.S. Instead, I'd try to find a mainstream NYC newspaper that talks about this issue and link to that story instead.

    ReplyDelete